Thursday, February 19, 2015

Orchid Pillow

 You guys, another WIP is done. I know it's getting a little ridiculous. I need to ride this wave of productivity as long as it lasts!

Here is my Orchid Pillow before stuffing. It started in a Hawaiian applique class with Janet Elia last August. Janet provided a simpler pattern than this, but Bill bought me this one on a work trip to Hawaii over 20 years ago. The applique was actually finished soon after the class.


 I needed a handwork project for last night's TV watching, so I took this out. I had to go find the purple thread that I had been using. Why did I put it away? I rinsed out the blue pen before I went to bed and it was dry by morning. I love the texture of hand quilting. I really need to do more of it.


I pulled fabrics this morning for the backing and binding. The first time I saw binding on a pillow, I thought it was kind of odd. Now I love it! It gives the look of cording, but it's way easier. The striped binding adds lots of color and brings in the greens and blues of my bedroom.


Man, I love this backing print. I only had about a 10" strip left, so I had to piece it across the middle. That's where I left an opening for stuffing the pillow. I added some fusible batting to the backing so the stuffing wouldn't look lumpy.
 

 The orchid design is a nod to the Pantone color of the year for 2014, Radiant Orchid.


We have so much snow and another storm coming this weekend. I'm staying cozy inside with my quilts!


Orchid Pillow
18" square
Started August 13, 2014
Completed February 19, 2015

4 comments:

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Stunning!!!

Dee said...

Beautiful!

Gentrie said...

That is beautiful! First time I think I have seen binding on a pillow too. Love it! Will have to try it!

Lara B. said...

So beautiful Tina and your quilting is wonderful!